The Helena Romanes School was named after Ms Helena Romanes, who was the first Chair of Governors. It was built in 1958 on the site it occupies today, more buildings were later added, and it became fully comprehensive in 1970. In 2004, the school modelled its coat-of-arms, with kind permission from the town council, on Dunmow Town's coat of arms. In 2008 the school celebrated its 50th birthday on the current site.
Fourways was instructed to scaffold some of the older buildings for external works and window replacement ensuring highest safety standards due to school currently in use.