Victoria Palace Theatre
The theatre began life as a small concert room above the stables of the Royal Standard Hotel, a small hotel and tavern built in 1832 at what was then 522 Stockbridge Terrace. This was the site of the present theatre – not, as sometimes stated, on land where the train station now stands.
The proprietor, John Moy, enlarged the building, and by 1850 it became known as Moy's Music Hall. Alfred Brown took it over in 1863, refurbished it, and renamed it the Royal Standard Music Hall.
The Royal Standard was demolished in 1910 and in its place was built, at a cost of ₤12,000, the current theatre, The Victoria Palace. It was designed by prolific theatre architect Frank Matcham, and opened on November 6, 1911. The original design featured a sliding roof that helped cool the auditorium during intervals in the summer months.
Fourways was instructed by the principle contractor to scaffold the whole full height of the exterior encompassing the ‘dancing girl’ on the peak of its dome. We also constructed birdcages throughout the interior auditorium and stage area for full renovation works.